What is Dermatitia or Eczema?
Dermatitis, also known as eczema, is a group of diseases that results in inflammation of the skin. These diseases are characterized by itchiness, red skin and a rash. In cases of short duration, there may be small blisters, while in long-term cases the skin may become thickened. The area of skin involved can vary from small to the entire body.
What Are The Types of Dermatitis Or Eczema?
There are several types of dermatitis such as atopic dermatitis, contact dermatitis, seborrhoeic dermatitis and xerotic dermatitis. Each type has specific symptoms; however, there are certain signs that are common for all of them, including redness of the skin, swelling, itching and skin lesions with sometimes oozing and scarring.
1. Atopic Dermatitis
This is an allergic disease believed to have a hereditary component, and often runs in families. While the condition may occur at any age, it typically starts in childhood with changing severity over the years. Itchy rash is particularly noticeable on head and scalp, neck, inside of elbows, behind knees, and buttocks.
2. Contact Dermatitis
Contact dermatitis can be of two types, allergic or Irritant. Allergic dermatitis results from a delayed reaction to an allergen, such as nickel, copper etc. Irritant dermatitis results from direct reaction to a detergent, such as sodium lauryl sulphate.
3. Xerotic Eczema
Caused due to excessive dryness to skin, xerotic Eczema worsens in dry winter weather. It mainly affects limbs and trunks. The itchy, tender skin resembles a dry, cracked, river bed. This disorder is very common among the older population.
4. Seborrhoeic Dermatitis
A condition sometimes classified as a form of Eczema that is closely related to dandruff. It causes dry or greasy peeling of the scalp, eyebrows, and face, and sometimes trunk.
Ayurveda describes Eczema as “ Vicharchika”. It is caused due to vitiation of all the three doshas – Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. This vitiation makes the Rakta or Blood impure and hence the disease.
The main reasons for this vitiation are as follows:
• Viruddha Aahar or faulty combination of food stuffs
• Excessive intake of spicy, salty food
• Faulty lifestyle
• Common symptoms of all types of dermatitis
• Red rashes on skin
• Dryness and itching
• Skin lesions with oozing and scarring
• Thickening of skin
• Discoloration of skin
Ayurvedic treatment for Eczema at Ved clinic is a combination of Panchakarma therapy (Detoxification) and internal medicine.
1. Panchakarma therapy:
• Vaman: A part of Panchkarma therapy, removes toxins from the body through induced vomiting.
• Virechana : A part of Panchkarma therapy, removes toxins in the body through induced purgation.
2. Internal medicines in the form of Ghritams(medicated ghee), Kashayams, tablets to pacify the doshas . Ayurvedic medicines for Blood Purification are also given.
3. Takradhara & Kashaydhara: Takra (buttermilk)or Kashayam made with herbs like Neem, Haridra, aaragwada etc, which are helpful in skin disorders is poured over the body or affected areas.
4. Shirodhara is done to relieve the stress.
5. Dietary changes are advised
6. Lifestyle modifications.
7. Permanent cure for Eczema by Ayurveda is done by giving Rasayan chikitsa.