A migraine is a primary headache disorder characterized by recurrent headaches that are moderate to severe. Typically, the headaches affect one half of the head, are pulsating in nature, and last from two to 72 hours.
Ayurveda beautifully describes migraine as “Ardhavbhedak” which is caused by the vitiation of all the 3 doshas i.e Vata, Pitta & Kapha.
Causes of Ardhavbhedak or Migraine:
1. Stress and tension
2. Exposure to sun
3. Excessive intake of Sour, Spicy things
4. External stimulus
5. Improper lifestyle
6. Genetic inheritance
7. Hormonal changes
8. Medications like contraceptive pills
• Throbbing or pounding pain on one side of head lasting for 6 to 72 hours
• A dull ache that gets worse within minutes to hours
• Nausea or Vomiting
• Loss of appetite
• Sensitivity to light, sound or smell
Warning signs before Migraine headache
• Blurred vision
• Eye pain
• Seeing stars or zigzag lines (Visual aura)
• Numbness on one side in arms, hands, mouth & nose.(Sensory Aura)
• Nausea or vomiting
Ayurvedic treatment of Migraine
Ved clinic provides a 3600 approach in treatment of migraine. We aim at complete removal of the disease from your life by the following protocol –
1. Detailed history taking and consultation to find out the predominance of which amongst the 3 doshas is causing the disease.
2. Nidan Parivarjan or removal of cause
3. Detoxification in the form of Virechana (Therapeutic purgation or loose motions) to eliminate the doshas from the body and improve the digestive system.
4. Raktamokshan or bloodletting to remove the rakta dushti present
5. Nasyam as Ayurveda says nose ids the door to head and to remove toxins from head Nasya is the best Karma.
6. Shirodhara for mind and body rejuvenation and strengthen the nervous system.
7. Ayurvedic medicines for migraine help to maintain the balance between the doshas and pacify the excessive doshas.
8. Rasayana treatment to avoid relapse.
9. Home remedies to reduce headache.
10. Advice on Yoga and Pranayama
11. Lifestyle modification.